December 17, 2012 1:14 PM
After recent tax hikes in France, Gerard Depardieu has put his ten-bedroom estate on the market for approximately $65 million.
The actor, who also turned in his passport and wrote a scathing public letter to the government, has moved to Belgium, and he claims that over the last 45 years, he's paid $190 million in taxes. (French citizens who earn over 1 million Euros per year now have a tax rate of roughly 75%, and Depardieu claims that in 2012 he forked over 85% of his income to the government.)
"We no longer have the same country. I'm a true European, a citizen of the world," Depardieu wrote in the letter. "I hand over my passport to you and my social security card, which I have never used."
Depardieu's renovated 19th-century building was originally built in 1820, and it's comprised of two separate structures. The estate, which was dubbed the Hotel de Chambon after Baron de Chambon, has 20,000-square-feet of living space, and it consists of 20 rooms, 10 of which are bedrooms. The home has an indoor swimming pool, a spacious garden, and a loft-like main room with living, dining and cooking areas.
RealEstalker reports that the actor reportedly acquired the property in 1994 for 25,000,000 French francs, which is roughly equivalent $4,614,670. Depardieu's original plans called for a $2 million remodel which would create an office space for his production company and apartments for family and friends, but he later changed his mind and started converting the residence to a luxury boutique hotel that was scheduled to open sometime in 2013.
- High Gloss And Shine: Hot Design Trends For The New Year
Shiny and glossy accents rule in 2013!
- Interior Color Palettes For 2013
- Keep It Simple For Fall
Fall has arrived ... less is more!
- Macaulay Culkin Debuts His Art
The actor shows his art collective's work in NY.
- 2012 Kitchen of the Year
House Beautiful invites us to view their Top Kitchen of 2012.
- Go Glam With Metallics
Metallics, Tufted Sofa Add A Touch Of Interior Glam
- Gerard Depardieu Puts His $65 Million Mansion On The Market After Massive Tax Increase In France
- One Direction's Harry Styles Buys London Mansion For $4.8 Million
- Valentino Shows Off Gorgeous Asian-Inspired French Castle
- CELEBDIGS EXCLUSIVE - Brad Pitt And Angelina Jolie Expand Chateau Miraval Property In France
Matt Damon And Wife Luciana Barroso To Renew Their Vows At Swanky Resort In St. Lucia
Take A Peek Inside Olivier Martinez's South Beach Eatery
Demi Moore Enjoys An Eco-Friendly Retreat In Mexico
Garza Blanca Is Where The Stars Relax South Of The Border
Celebs Love Their South Beach Getaways
Rihanna Rents A $21.8 Million Mansion In Barbados For The Holidays
Fontainebleau Miami Beach Is The Place To Be During Art Basel
Live The High Life At The Ritz-Carlton's Residences At L.A. Live
Favorite Celebrity Getaway: The Post Ranch Inn At Big Sur
Celebrity Halloween Hotspot: Greystone Manor
A Look Inside Jessica Biel And Justin Timberlake's Italian Wedding Venue
Pacific Palisades: Where The Rich And Famous Call Home
Serenity By The Sea At The One & Only Palmilla In Los Cabos, Mexico
- Ellen DeGeneres Adds $26.5 Million Montecito Mansion To Massive Arsenal
- Katy Perry Purchases Two Hollywood Hills Residences For $11.2 Million
- Drew Barrymore Lists Montecito Mansion For $7.5 Million
- Jennifer Love Hewitt Buys $3.2 Million Pacific Palisades Pad